Call For Submissions!
Ponahakeola Press is holding its first call for submissions. Here are the details:
1. This will be a collection of short stories and poems. (Title to be announced shortly.) The stories may be new or previously published.
2. The theme is broad: the stories should feature ghosts or ghost-related things (ghosts, apparitions, spirits, poltergeists, things that go bump in the night, spooks, spectres, ha’nts, will-o-the-wisps, revenants, and whatever else you can come up with in that vein).
3. Submission deadline: September 15, 2015
4. Release date: October 25, 2015 (so that everyone can have a copy to read for Halloween). The book will be published in both hard copy and e-book format, provided there are enough submissions. If we can’t reach 140 pages (CreateSpace’s minimum requirement), we will be creating an e-book only.
5. This will be a PR / Bootstrap effort. By that we mean that the writers, editors, etc., will not receive any profits from book sales. All profits will go to PR efforts for the book itself, in order to gain more visibility for the writers. The better the book does, the more money will be spent on promoting the book.
6. Ponahakeola Press will be interviewing the writers on Horri-Fi in October, for further visibility.
7. This is not limited to Ponahakeola Press authors. PP will be contacting its writers and others that PP has worked with in the past, but this is an open call to anyone who wishes to submit a story.
8. Not all submissions are guaranteed acceptance, but all will be reviewed, and the editor will respond with feedback to all submissions.
9. Contact info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to Ponahakeola Press.
The word Ponahakeola comes from the Kumulipo (the Kanaka Maoli / Native Hawaiian origin chant) and translates as “the chaotic whirlwind of life.” I chose this for a variety of reasons, including the fact that it accurately describes life and our processes within it.
Ponahakeola Press is a very small publishing house at present. Proofreader Brandy Nacole and myself (J. Cameron McClain) are the core of Ponahakeola Press. Four authors including myself are PP-based, with a number of others receiving various company services, including editing, cover design, and hard copy / ebook formatting.
Feel free to have a look at our current authors’ pages:
As part of Ponahakeola Press’ commitment to spreading the word about good storytelling strategies, we have been exploring the process of writing and editing. Take a look at the list of writing posts here.
If you have questions about what we do at Ponahakeola Press, please see the editing services page, or get in touch using the form below.